Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Choice

Here is a glimpse into my philosophy, something that is ever growing.  I've discovered that when I write about why I do things I can identify whether what I do is something I should change.  This is one which made the cut.  Perhaps my reasoning will mean something to you; perhaps you'll better appreciate someone who shares their happiness with the world, perhaps you'll find yourself smiling more.  Happiness is a choice as simple as a smile.
***
"Ah," she sighed, smiling slightly, "that makes me happy."
He rolled his eyes.  "Everything makes you happy."
She watched him for a moment then responded.  "No, not everything makes me happy.  I get angry and sad and frustrated like everyone else.  I just always try to smile, even when I'm upset."
"Why?"
Again she took a moment to think.  "Well, you never know what other people may be going through.  Maybe someone really needs a smile, even more than you need to frown.  Not smiling would be kind of selfish of me.  What right have I to make other people miserable just because I'm having a crappy day?"

1 comment:

Manda Panda said...

oh caity, that is what i try to do too, it doesn't always work, or people can look through my facade, but still, i try.