Saturday, January 10, 2009

Quote of the Day 18 + the weekly update

"It takes no genius to have a perfectly structured face. But we all have our own gifts." -- Mason Thomson, in a marvelous discussion about models vs. artists.

"Eww, that car is a gross color!" -- Christopher
"Yellow's awesome!" -- Caity
"Hey, don't dis the banana car. Wow, that opens up a whole new realm of pick-up lines. 'Hey baby, want to take a ride in my banana?" -- Mason. Haha, wow, we talk about the weirdest stuff. And yet somehow, talking with my youthgroupians is the highlight of my week :)

first day back to school was really heavy. i did homework until 8:30 :P but after that the week generally lightened up homework-wise, but other commitments seemed to descend. auditions for our school play, fiddler on the roof, are monday, and i spent every break possible singing with my friend shane, who's my audition partner (we're trying out with "Sabbath Prayer." if you haven't heard it you should; it's beautiful.)

over the break i was sure i bombed my english final, but apparently my essay was one of the best of the bunch, and my teacher asked for a copy to show future classes as an example. i know that if i'd had more time and research, my essay would have been MUCH better (our topic was animal research), but i was happy to have done well. so that cheered me up.

last year i loved sitting outside at lunch and talking with my friends. this year i've rather gotten over the novelty of the long lunch period, and get bored if i just spend 5-days a week in idle pursuits. so i've taken up two clubs, Minds Magazine (which i did last semester as well) and this monday i went for the first time to Philosophy Club. we had a marvelous discussion about the how people tend to have unrealistic expectations of their heros/significant other, placing them above human fault. this conversation put name to many thoughts and occurrences i had not previously identified. i often think fleetingly about "the nature of things" on my own, but it was delightful to have a group of intelligent and creative people to debate and theorize with. i think i shall return :)

my "tutee" Crystal (the fourth grader i tutor) is ADORABLE! we've started doing some creative writing, and she seems to be enjoying it very much. it's strange to be around little kids again, after spending a majority of my time with high schoolers. talking with Crystal has made me realize that she thinks i know everything because i'm an older person. i'd forgotten what it's like to be that age; it's rather refreshing.

i've discovered dance. completely and fully. i love it; i love feeling healthy, and (marginally) graceful. it'll never be as potent a passion as singing, but i definitely want to experiment more with it!

so that's the weekly update.
Salut!

2 comments:

Christine said...

I love Mason!!! :)
I remember going to a meeting of Philosophy Club last year by accident, it was really annoying because they were discussing how aliens don't exist and Mr. Chantler was being annoying. Maybe it's him I don't like. But I suggested inviting Simerly to speak at the next meeting, and he basically laughed at me. Not at the idea, but the fact that someone could challenge him. Yeaaah not so great.

Caity said...

really?
i like chantler -- he's so quirky and interested in thinking in different ways. doesn't strike me as judgemental *shrugs*